In Nioh, players will traverse war-torn Japan as William, a blonde-haired swordsman whose background as a fierce warrior and seasoned knowledge of the blade allows him to survive in the demon-plagued land of the samurai. Known as Yokai, these demons inhabit a number of dangerous locations and lie in wait in the shadows to ambush unsuspecting victims. Players will also face off with other samurai in supernatural sword battles and intense, multi-target engagements offering a level of difficulty that will truly test even the most hardened samurai’s skills, patience, and strategy.
Offering a deep and original storyline that takes place during the Warring States Period of Japanese history alongside strategic sword-fighting action, Nioh will challenge players in a way that makes every mission and accomplishment feel earned and worthwhile.
Ancient demons; feudal lands
Take up your sword and travel to Japan’s blood-bathed Sengoku period – an era ravaged by warring states and dark, malevolent forces – and cut a violent path through the land as the masterless samurai, William.
Cross blades in brutal hand-to-hand combat, wielding swords, axes, spears and even war hammers against foes both human and demon. Endure the vicious encounters and learn from your mistakes: each death will bring you resurrection and each resurrection a greater resolve to overcome your foes.
Taking inspiration from the Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls series of games, Nioh invites you to muster the resilience of a true samurai: the skills and patience to overcome even the deadliest enemies and the courage to remain steadfast even in the face of death.
- The art of kenjutsu… and more: Master every fighting style – learn the flow of combat, and move with deadly precision. Unleash a stunning combination of attacks specific to a range of authentic samurai weapons, including polearms, katanas and axes.
- A dangerous dynasty: Explore a fantastical and dark vision of 16th century Japan – fight alongside legendary heroes and against horrific villains of the Warring States period.
- Monstrous myths and frightening fables: Face brutal and grotesque enemies – do you have the courage to stand alone against skilled samurai, vile beasts and demons known as the Yokai?
Fear the Yokai
- Yoki: When a human is transformed into a demon by the power of Amrita, the result is a Yoki – an extremely aggressive creature possessing a large, monstrous body.
- Onryoki : With half of its face a burning flame of anger, the other half warped by rancour, this giant red demon is a fearsome sight to behold. Born from countless vengeful spirits, these tortured souls give it an eerie appearance, while horrendous voices resonate from its body, completing the Onryoki’s horror. To be in its presence is to be petrified by sheer terror.
- Hitotsume-Oni: These one-eyed brutes are said to be the physical reincarnation of mountain gods and spirits’ violent tendencies, making them vicious and extremely dangerous. Legend has it that there were also two-eyed Hitotsume-Oni, who were once human… or perhaps an entity consumed by the negative emotions of humans. Either way, to dice with these menacing monsters is to risk a painful demise.
- Onyudo: Do not let the Onyudo’s history as a monk fool you. True, these demons may have once had good intentions, but during their duty they were unable to sever their worldly desires, betraying their disciplines. Falling into a moral abyss and mutating into the beastly form you see before you, the Onyudo amass the skulls of their victims and wear them across their shoulders like a rosary. If you do not want to be part of their collection, it’s best to not get too close…
Please note, an internet connection and Playstation Plus may be required to play this game. In addition, you may need to update your hardware via the internet before you can play the game.